Gender and Diversity action plan outline
(Definition for diversity: geographic – thus ‘Gender and geography’)
- Collect statistics on gender, age, nationality, position in institution, and position in project -> on AtlantOS Committees, participants in meetings, beneficiaries of project
Such survey will be carried out parallel to each periodic reporting in AtlantOS.
- At every meeting/workshop have a gender count
- Ensure this meets EC ethical rules on the collection of data
- Publish results and trends with all participants (short presentation at meetings, on the web, as formal reporting for EC)
- Survey all participants in AtlantOS meetings about participation in meetings, not just their representation – i.e., did they feel like they participated actively in discussion, in making decisions?
- Develop a web tool – anonymous and immediate feedback to survey on role in workplace: do they feel like they participate actively in decision-making? (survey should ideally be done twice during the lifetime of the project – test if awareness-raising in AtlantOS made some difference) separate results by gender and geography and age
- publicize results
- Raise awareness
- Make all participants aware of Horizon 2020 gender objectives
- Present results of other projects that are more gender focused in science / marine science [like Baltic Gender]
Career development (promoting gender and age diversity)
- “Women in AtlantOS” web page with profiles for visibility of women who are active in the project
- Videos on women in AtlantOS
Further ideas to explore:
Mentoring programme within AtlantOS
- for women
- for geographic diversity (but this requires funding)
- lighter alternatives not requiring dedicated funding:
- “Ask Mary”: volunteer established women within the project who could answer questions by younger women in project.
- “Meet the professor”: senior women scientists in a special session (pack lunch) where younger participants (male and female) can ask questions about career development.
- WP8 competition for development of apps to deliver AtlantOS data for specific services -> gender equality/quota in the winner of the prize?